Brief 2 Data Object
The second project required us to design a 3D printed object communicating a set of data and a printed key for the object to sit on, contextualising and explaining the data.
I designed my data object in the form of a school sat on top of a mortar board hat. The school is designed to look like a typical large comprehensive school but in one corner, there is an ornate tower, similar to one you might find on an old private school such as Eton college. The data object is designed to communicate the data from two angles. From the side, it is a bar chart with the main building and the tower acting as two separate points of data. The tower represents the 65% of cabinet members who were privately educated and the main school building represents the 35% who were comprehensively educated.
From above, the data object represents a different set of data. Again, the two separate buildings represent different sets of data but this time in the form of a square pie chart. The tower building is the 7% of the wider UK population that were privately educated and the main building is the other 93% who were not. By representing two sets of data on two different axes, the data object prompts the viewer to compare and contrast the data, hopefully making them think critically about class representation within the goverment.